The Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program is designed to allow sophomores, juniors, and seniors the opportunity to conduct in-depth research projects in their specific fields of study. Each student must have a faculty mentor, along with a well-developed proposal.
All types of undergraduate research are eligible for support, and all academic disciplines are encouraged to apply. In addition to science, engineering and mathematics projects, this program will support, for example, an art major who wants to sculpt a major project. Funds are provided for students to travel to conferences and present their accomplishments.
Funding will not begin until January and may be up to $3,250 for the student, plus $750 for the mentor, with lesser amounts awarded depending on the grant period. If you are graduating in May, then your funding must end in May at graduation.
- U.S. citizen, resident alien, or national
- Minimum of 30 hours of college credit at time of funding
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher at time of application
- Support from faculty mentor
Applicants must complete and submit an online registration form prior to completing the SURF application. Upon registering, the student will receive a link to the SURF application packet, which includes the application form and detailed instructions.
Applications will reopen in the fall of 2020.
For more information, see the 2019 SURF Keynote.
Students submit a physical copy of their completed application to the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards.
There are two options for turning in an application:
- In the first half of October, students may turn in an application during an appointment they schedule with the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards.
- On October 16th and 17th, 2019, any registrants who have not submitted their application will turn in their application at a time assigned to them.
Research & Sponsored Programs
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs handles disbursement of awarded SURF funds, and has information about the program and the disbursement process on their website.