The Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program is designed to allow sophomores, juniors, and seniors the opportunity to conduct in-depth research projects in their specific fields of study. Each student must have a faculty mentor, along with a well-developed proposal.
All types of undergraduate research are eligible for support, and all academic disciplines are encouraged to apply. In addition to science, engineering, and mathematics projects, this program will support, for example, an art major who wants to sculpt a major project. Funds are provided for students to travel to conferences and present their accomplishments.
Funding will not begin until January and may be up to $3,250 for the student, plus $750 for the mentor, with lesser amounts awarded depending on the grant period. If you are graduating in May, then your funding must end in May at graduation.
- U.S. citizen, resident alien, or national
- Minimum of 30 hours of college credit at time of funding
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher at time of application
- Support from faculty mentor
The Office of Nationally Competitive Awards holds informational sessions to discuss the SURF award and application process.
However, if you were unable to attend these presentations please reference the informational video below.
Applicants must complete and submit an online registration form prior to completing the SURF application. Upon registering, the student will receive a link to the SURF application packet, which includes the application form and detailed instructions.
Applications for 2023-2024 SURF funding will be submitted electronically through InfoReady.
All students will have their application reviewed. There are two options for application review:
- Students are encouraged to have their application reviewed early. Please schedule an appointment with Matthew Halbert here if you would like your application reviewed prior to October 11th, 2023.
- From October 11-13, 2023, any registrants who have not have not yet had a review appointment will have their application reviewed by a University of Arkansas faculty or staff member during a Microsoft Teams appointment. These appointments will be available to choose at the beginning of October.
***The last opportunity to have your SURF applications reviewed is during SURF Collection - October 11-13, 2023***
Applications must be submitted not later than October 13th
Office of Sponsored Programs
The Office of Sponsored Programs handles disbursement of awarded SURF funds, and has information about the program and the disbursement process on their website.