The Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program is designed to allow sophomores, juniors, and seniors the opportunity to conduct in-depth research projects in their specific fields of study. Each student must have a faculty mentor, along with a well-developed proposal.
All types of undergraduate research are eligible for support, and all academic disciplines are encouraged to apply. In addition to science, engineering and mathematics projects, this program will support, for example, an art major who wants to sculpt a major project. Funds are provided for students to travel to conferences and present their accomplishments.
Funding will not begin until January and may be up to $3,250 for the student, plus $750 for the mentor, with lesser amounts awarded depending on the grant period. If you are graduating in May, then your funding must end in May at graduation.
- U.S. citizen, resident alien, or national
- Minimum of 30 hours of college credit at time of funding
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher at time of application
- Support from faculty mentor
Applicants must complete and submit the online registration form prior to completing the SURF application. The registration form will be available September 2017.
Upon registering, the student will receive the SURF application packet, which will include an application and detailed instructions.
For more information, see the 2017 SURF Keynote.
Students must submit a physical copy of their completed application to the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards.
There are two options for turning in an application:
- OPTION 1: Between October 3 and October 17, students may turn in an application by appointment. To submit an application or schedule an application check, contact the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards at firstname.lastname@example.org or (479) 575-2716.
- OPTION 2: Bring two copies of your application to Silas Hunt Hall, room 145, on October 18, between noon and 4 p.m. or on October 19, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. You will be emailed a designated submission time after completing the online registration form.